gold jump bail
one of a kind
Lepidolite is in the mica family of minerals. The sparkles are mica.
We mined this material ourselves in the mountains south of Julian, CA, USA.
Lepidolite is an uncommon mica and has only in the past decade become available on the mineral market in large quantities. Lepidolite is an ore of lithium and forms in granitic masses that contain a substantial amount of lithium. The lithium content in lepidolite does vary greatly however and low lithium lepidolite is nearly useless as an ore of lithium. The typical violet to pink color of lepidolite is characteristic and is the only field test available to identify lepidolite from other micas. Pink muscovite or very pale lepidolite may confuse an identification.
Lepidolite, like other micas, has a layered structure of lithium aluminum silicate sheets weakly bonded together by layers of potassium ions. These potassium ion layers produce the perfect cleavage. lepidolite crystals accompany such other lithium bearing minerals such as tourmaline, amblygonite and spodumene and can add greatly to the value of these specimens. A rock made of granular pink lepidolite and red to pink tourmaline is used as an ornamental stone for carving. Single large plates or "books" of lepidolite can have appealling violet color and make attractive mineral specimens.
• Color is violet to pale pink or white and rarely gray or yellow.
• Luster is vitreous to pearly.
• Transparency crystals are transparent to translucent.
• Crystal System is monoclinic; 2/m
• Crystal Habits include tabular to prismatic crystals with a prominant pinacoid termination. Lepidolite's four prism faces and two pinacoid faces form pseudo-hexagonal crystal "books". The sides of the crystal often tend to tapper. Also as micaseous, lamellar or granular rock forming masses.
• Cleavage is perfect in one direction producing thin sheets or flakes.
• Fracture is not readily observed due to cleavage but is uneven.
• Hardness is 2.5.
• Specific Gravity is approximately 2.8+ (average)
• Streak is white.
• Associated Minerals are quartz, feldspars, spodumene, ambygonite and tourmaline especially elbaite.
• Other Characteristics: cleavage sheets are flexible and elastic, meaning they can be bent and will flex back to original shape. Also some specimens may show triboluminescence.
• Notable Occurrences include Brazil; Ural Mountains, Russia; several African localities and California, USA.
• Best Field Indicators are crystal habit, color, cleavage, elastic sheets and associations.
Beautiful pendant you can wear to add a statement to any outfit.
Lapidary is the craft of designing, sawing, grinding & polishing, milling & drilling, and wiring precious stones. There are up to 30 steps to create a gemstone. We do over 90% of this work in our own shop to create the finished pieces you see on JimzGemz.
We started making gemstones when I retired in 2011. So far, we have made over 15,000, and sold over half. Business continues to grow, and we are pleased to provide for you our natural, hand-crafted products.
Payments are final. Lost or broken items are at the buyers risk unless a shipping option is chosen where the seller accepts the risk.
Shipping options are under info, and you may select 1 of 8 options. Please not that the buyer accept the risk for lost or broken items unless a shipping upgrade that transfers the risk to the seller is selected.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Refunds are by mutual agreement, usually accepted.
We can provide custom orders, multiple items at reduced cost "wholesale". Our discounts usually run:
2 items 5%, Approx. $60 retail
3 10%, $90
6 15%, $180
9 20%, $300
12 25%, $600
15 30%, $900
20 35%, $1200
25 40%, $1500
30 45%, $1800
36 50%, $2000 and above "keystone".
We have made a number of such sales, most at the $2000 level.
See additional information
Dimension given is pendant height
Most pendants do not require any care. Silver, copper, and brass bails need to be polished from time to time. Gold, bronze and nickel bails require almost no care.